Broken fingers, limbs, and other things…

Back to Article
Back to Article

Youth Boys Volleyball

Youth Boys Volleyball

Youth Boys Volleyball

Youth Boys Volleyball

Cecilia Rao, Editor

She shoots, she scores! She broke her ankle! Whoops!

It’s no secret that athletes get injured; it’s in the job description. Sports injuries are extremely serious, considering that one wrong move could end an athlete’s career. Sometimes, though, an injury is more crazy than it is serious.

School sports are obviously less serious than any professional sport, but Saint John’s students take their physical activities very seriously. If you play a sport here at SJS, there is a huge chance that you have gotten injured. Whether it’s a bruise or a broken arm, it’s common to play a little rough when all the adrenaline is rushing through your body.

Although it hurt me insane amounts, I wouldn’t trade the sport for the world”

— Mauricio Miles

Injuries are common among athletes. Being pushed during a basketball game is inevitable. But many athletes here at SJS have some not-so-common experiences playing these sports. So, because I can’t play basketball this season due to an injury, here are some of the craziest injuries that Saint John’s students have experienced playing a sport:

10th grader Liav Bejar could not hold in her laughter as she screamed: “A girl once bit my ear at a basketball game! My piercing was new, so I had tape over it and she pulled it out of my ear. I don’t know how they didn’t foul her. It hurt a lot when it happened, but now I laugh about it.” Is this “The Bite Fight” part two? Mike Tyson? Maybe? Ears must be delicious.

Another 10th grader, Jose Fernandez said someone grabbed his butt during a game. “I’m not sure if it was intentional, but it was a little weird.” Surprisingly, the sport was basketball and not baseball. Weirdly enough, grabbing butts is more of a routine in baseball than an injury. (If consensual, of course.)

Diego Serrano, a junior who plays multiple sports had a very weird encounter once. “My nut almost exploded once. It sounds graphic, but I got trampled by a kid at a soccer game and it twisted.” I really can’t even imagine what that must feel like. There’s really nothing to say about this. What an experience. OUCH.

Besides gruesome genital injuries, impediments in other body parts can also be horrific. Mauricio Miles, a 10th grader who is extremely versatile when it comes to sports, tore his meniscus playing soccer. “I was running full speed and stopped suddenly. I felt my knee break and I collapsed.” Yikes.

Clearly, when people say that sports are “all fun and games,” they are lying. Serious trauma can come from a simple game of volleyball. But, despite the one in a million chance that your meniscus tears or your testicle “explodes,” sports are a lot of fun and great for your health. “Although it hurt me insane amounts, I wouldn’t trade the sport for the world,” said Mauricio Miles.

Sports are a great way to be active and an extremely fun past time. Don’t let these rare occurrences discourage you!