The Eye

Angelica Cuprill’s Journey

Back to Article
Back to Article

Angelica Cuprill’s Journey

Angelica jumping at a recent competition in Argentina.

Claudia Villamil, Journalist

Have you ever wondered what students do after school? Or how many students are extremely talented in sports that we might not even know exist? Angelica Cuprill, a 12th grade student at Saint John’s School, is a horse back rider who competes here in Puerto Rico and about twice a year in South America.

Angelica has been practicing this sport for ten years now. “I started to ride because I wasn’t interested in any other sports and because my family had always been around the horse industry,”  said Cuprill.  Horseback riding is not the most popular sport in Puerto Rico, but in South America and North America it’s a very known sport. To be able to keep growing in the sport and make something out of her career as a horseback rider, Cuprill has to travel constantly to competitions. She usually goes twice a year to Argentina and once a year to Guatemala.

You might be thinking, how is she able to keep up with all her school work and compete outside of Puerto Rico at the same time? Well, she does admit it to be very challenging, but she sure gets all her work done. Cuprill has had to find ways to manage all her work and competitions at the same time. While she is in a competition, she tries to do most of her work between each category and in the morning. If she doesn’t get the chance to do it during these times, she finishes all her work at night.

With all the traveling, work, and time that is dedicated to this sport it makes it a lot easier to have the family support. Thankfully, Angelica’s family is very supportive, and they enjoy the sport just as much as she does because as mentioned previously, they have always been around the horse industry.

Horseback riding isn’t as simple as it sounds. There are different categories like the hunters, jumpers, equitation and more. Angelica focuses on the jumpers. She began doing the hunters, but it became “too boring” so she moved to the jumpers which she claims to be more fun, competitive, and challenging.

Sometimes it can be quite intimidating riding a 1,500lb live animal. It is a risky sport because anything can happen like falling off the horse or the real fear that it falls on top of you. In addition, in this sport you don’t just have a partner or a team, your teammate is a living animal with its own way of thinking and doing things.

Falling off is one of the biggest fears for people that do not practice this sport and sometimes for the riders as well. Angelica has had some bad falls, the worst one being in Guatemala when she fell off and the horse slipped and fell on her leg.

This is Angelica’s senior year… what will she do next? Well, Angelica is fully committed to the sport and she wants to continue riding after high school. She plans to practice this sport all throughout college and hopefully become an instructor in the future.

About the Writer
Claudia Villamil, Writer

I'm a tenth grade student in SJS and I spend most of my time either with friends and family or studying. If I'm not at school I am usually either with...