What Did You Read This Summer?

New English Summer Reading

Thomas Bannett, The Storm Writer

The English summer reading this year was different, we were given options; a list with fifty books to pick from.

In my opinion it was better. I liked it because I didn’t feel forced to read, and I had a choice.

A few students had similar opinions, for example, Emma Jurgel (8th grade) who said, “I like that the school was open to us picking what we wanted to read instead of just assigning a book.

This is similar to what Salome Levis (11th grade) said: I liked it because they gave us more freedom and gave us motivation to read the book since we chose it.”

Alejandro Latorraca (12th grade) brought up an interesting point when he said, “I do like the idea, but I think it should be more organized. It should have the genres so you don’t have to search book by book.” A very good point for the English department to take into account.

According to a survey monkey, the book most read this summer turned out the be The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. There are many factors for that: this book was mostly read by the younger age groups which are also the larger grades (7th, 8th, and 9th) since it is not a very complicated book yet interesting. It’s also relatable to their age and was read in elementary. The second most read book was Wonder by  R.J. Palacio. It was the second most read for similar reasons.

Results from the survey monkey and after what students have been saying, it is obvious that being able to choose our summer reading book is the way to go and the most preferred option by the students. The school should keep doing this.