Should Students Be Able To Make-Out In The Hallways?!

Back to Article
Back to Article

SJS is a PDA free zone. The Student Handbook states It is in the best interest of students to place limits on public displays of affection. Students are encouraged to set standards for themselves that promote self-respect and emotional well- being. Inappropriate displays of affection are unacceptable while on campus. Any such incidents will be reported immediately to the parents of the students involved and may result in further disciplinary action.” 

This doesn’t actually define PDA. It’s difficult to find an actual definition of PDA but one of the best definitions that we found from ThoughtCo. is: “Public Display of Affection—or PDA—includes physical contact including, but not limited to, intimate touching, hand holding, fondling, cuddling, and kissing at school or a school-sponsored activity between two students typically in a relationship.”

The Dean of Student Life, Samuel Ortiz, is always keeping an eye out for anything peculiar. Obviously, we think everyone can agree that if a couple is kissing in the hallway, Ortiz has every reason to stop them. But if they’re just hugging, that becomes questionable. Is hugging a bad thing? Some people have complained that Ortiz has stopped them from hugging even if they’re not in a relationship.

Ortiz, of course, isn’t the only faculty member who doesn’t like the idea of PDA in the halls. They believe that school isn’t the appropriate place for such things to happen. Ms. Dana Erickson says, “I have stopped students from touching in the hallways. I feel like Mr. Ortiz is doing his job, and we, as community members, have the responsibility to keep the hallways a place that encourages a professional environment. PDA sometimes crosses that line.”

Students are encouraged to set standards for themselves that promote self-respect and emotional well- being. Inappropriate displays of affection are unacceptable while on campus. ”

— SJS Student Handbook

Michal Mendelbaum (10th) said, “I don’t really care if the couple is just holding hands but if they’re making out while you’re talking to them then that irritates me so much!” Other people agree with her.  Maite Villamil (10th) said, “If I have someone next to me with their boyfriend/girlfriend then I don’t mind unless they’re doing something that makes me uncomfortable. I believe that it’s stupid that Ortiz stops people from hugging or holding hands because no one feels uncomfortable when people do that.”

Shannon Morales (11th) and Gian Dardet (10th) are a couple who have been called out for PDA. Shannon said, “I think that there’s a certain line that couples shouldn’t cross but getting us in trouble for just hugging or being too close to each other is ridiculous. I think every couple in school gets scared when they see Ortiz come near them and it really shouldn’t be that way. He’s a little too hard on us but I guess it’s his job.”

Anna Perez (11th) said, “I feel like if it doesn’t make anyone else uncomfortable, it should be okay. Puerto Ricans are “amorosos” and it’s a part of our culture.”

The student council has appointed a committee in order to redefine PDA in the handbook to make it less ambiguous. Stay tuned for updates!