José Luis Casas

Back to Article
Back to Article

José Luis Casas

José Luis enrolled in Tufts University August 2017. At Saint John’s he was a regular contributor for its literary magazine Perfiles/Perceptions. He is fluent in French and received the DELF diploma his Senior year at SJS.

What do you like about Tufts? Tufts is a really great school and I’ve really enjoyed my time here so far. The campus is beautiful and the community is very diverse, open, caring, and intelligent. My favorite class so far has been my Freshman Writing Seminar last semester. Although it’s a requirement, I had a really great teacher and I enjoyed going to his class. As for plans, I’m not completely sure, but I think I’m going to be doing a Psychology and French double major (and maybe a minor in English if I have time to do it in four years). I also plan to study abroad in Paris, France during my second semester of junior year.

How did Saint John’s prepare you for college? Saint John’s rigorous academics definitely prepared me for college, but I guess no one can ever go fully prepared to college. The drastic changes can easily throw you off, but time really helps one adjust.  The changes I’m referring to is being thrown into a completely new environment, a place where you really don’t know most of the people around you. When I arrived to college, I really didn’t know what to expect. There’s a lot of experimentation, some yielding good results and some bad. But I think these drastic changes are what helps one grow as a person.

What makes SJS a great school? The relationship between students and faculty. Since classrooms tend to be small, it was easy to approach teachers. I’ve made great connections to some teachers at SJS, and they always give me a reason to come back and visit during the holidays.

What is your favorite thing about college? My favorite thing about college is the freedom, being able to decide what I want to do every second of the day.

What do you miss about high school? What I miss about high school the most is my classmates and being able to see them every weekday.