Jose Contreras

Pia Contreras

Jose Contreras
is currently attending New York University after having graduated from Saint John’s School in 2017. In addition to attending freshman classes, he is reprising his role as Gomez Addams in an NYU student production of The Addams Family. He is incredibly talented and mega cool.

Where are you now? What do you do?

I’m studying vocal performance at NYU Steinhardt, which is snobby college talk for “I major in singing.”

How did Saint John’s prepare you for college?

Saint John’s was just really a supportive community of people that encouraged me to try as many different things as I could. By the time I was applying to college, I already had a good idea of who I was and what I wanted from life. I never had to second guess my dreams because it felt like everyone was on board with me, and I feel like that was a lot of other student’s experience, too. I never saw one of my friends want to accomplish something in life and a teacher of faculty member say they didn’t think they could do it.

What is your favorite thing about college?

I’ve always just wanted to really get to know the place where I was studying and supplement my learning with adventures and experiences outside the classroom. There’s so much of that here at NYU. There’s always something new and exciting to do that you never thought was there.

Is there anything you miss about high school?

I miss the community. That’s one thing they don’t tell you about. When your freshman class is the size of 9 Saint John’s Schools combined, you don’t really get to see the same familiar faces over and over again. You don’t get to know the administration in the same way as you did in Saint John’s and school tends to feel like school, not like the family we know in Saint John’s.

What is your favorite thing about New York?

I love the adventure. I was never big on parties, or Greek life, or college sports and I feel like that’s something a lot of people want in a college experience, but I just never cared for that. I always just wanted to really get to know the place where I was studying and supplement my learning with adventures and experiences outside the classroom. There’s so much of that here at NYU. There’s always something new and exciting to do that you never thought was there.